With our world being turned upside down in the last couple weeks, you might be thinking to yourself that creating magical mornings isn’t at the top of your priority list right now. No matter who you are or where you are in this world, we have all been affected by this covid-19 pandemic. Let’s give each other grace and send each other love as we navigate this new space, working from home, losing a job, having to close our business, having kids at home full time or maybe being sick from covid-19.
As time goes by I have realized just how important mornings are, how they create the energy and mindset for the day ahead. How we start our day plays such a huge role in how our days flow & end. This is why I felt it was so important to write this post about creating a magical morning routine. I want to help you find the tools to create the energy, the mindset, the routine or ritual to ground you, to inspire you & support you through this time.
As I sat down to write this post, I continued to go back and forth on if this was necessary, needed and would be used during this time.
I personally have been maintaining my morning routine. I find a sense of peace in having a “schedule” a “normal routine” to help me feel that some things are have remained the same. It is settling to my mind and body to have that in these moments of uncertainty.
I’ve realized my mind and body craves these actions each morning as a sense of knowing what is to follow. As I move through my own personal list of things I do each morning I find my mind is quieted, my body relaxed and able to welcome what is meant to come through me.
My intention & desire for this post is that you too can find what works for you and begin to have the same sense of quietness, relaxing in the mind and body and being open to energy, insight & love coming your way.
Which brings me to the ideas and items that have helped me create my magical mornings..
Set your alarm
Some say to set your alarm one hour before you need to to allow for extra time so you never feel rushed. I personally like to set my alarm for the same time each day so that my body gets used to the sleep cycles and starts waking up without the alarm. I know not everyone is a morning person, so this is where you get to decide on your personal wake up time, again this post is all about personalizing your own magical morning. Each person is going to be different and that is what makes each one of us so unique, wonderful & special, embrace it, no two people are the same, thank goodness!
I personally don’t like to sleep with my phone in or near my bed or bedroom so I have included some fun alarm clocks. I also found some really cool new light alarm clocks that start lighting up with the sunrise, naturally awakening our bodies.
- This one was really cool design with LED lights and lots of other features.
- This had the ability to play natural music/sounds
- Wake up to 7 different colors simulating the sunrise.
- Loving the wake up with sunrise & natural sounds.
- So cute! Wood and personalized message!
- Silent Alarm Clock….. Say What?
Write in your Journal
Starting to journal has seriously changed my life. I have a morning journaling exercise as well as an evening to start and finish my day with gratitude. I love starting the day free writing, anything that comes to mind goes on the paper. This helps get ideas on paper after a nights rest as well as clearing the mind of scattered thoughts, or possibly racing thoughts depending on what lies ahead that day. I then move into a gratitude practice, writing down everything that I am grateful for. It can be something as simple as “I am grateful for this comfy bed.” ” I am grateful for the sun coming up and hearing the birds singing outside my window.” This gratitude practice has me leaving my bed, couch, wherever I decide to journal that day with an overwhelming feeling of love, gratefulness & a positive outlook on the day.
If you are needing some ideas or topics to get you started here are a few that came to mind.
- What am I grateful for today?
- How can I be more kind to myself today?
- What am I needing to help fill me up?
- What are 3 things that I can do today to help me feel more like myself?
- List 5 things you love about yourself today?
- What could I let go of today? Limiting beliefs? Negative thoughts?
- How can I feel more free in my life? My decisions?
- What can I do today to get me closer to my true desires?
I absolutely love journals…
There is something so wonderful about a new journal with blank pages to fill with your thoughts, desires & dreams. I found a couple that I really loved, hopefully you can find one that suits your fancy. Also included the very popular 5 minute journal, this one is for all of you that want to say you don’t have the time to journal…. I think we all have 5 minutes in our day to set aside.
- The Five Minute Journal: A Happier You in 5 Minutes a Day
- Leather and personalized! Beautiful
- 12 pack, one for each month, great journals!
- 52 week guided Attitude of Gratitude Journal.
- The mindful art of not giving a sh*t.
Tarot Decks & Moon Cycles.
I have recently gotten into Tarot Cards, their guidebooks, moon cycles & astrology. I am utterly fascinated by all the energy, the connection we have with the moon and stars, and how it is always changing and circulating. Here are a couple decks and resources that I use & also have been recommended. This can be included in your journaling, I have found it to be fun to journal and then right after my meditation I pull cards and finish my journaling with the details of the cards, the moon, energy, etc. Trust me, it will blow your mind what you learn and come to find out.
- The Wild Unknown Tarot Deck and Guidebook (Official Keepsake Box Set)
- Neo Tarot: A Fresh Approach to Self-Care, Healing & Empowerment
- Minimalist Tarot Deck
- Anima Mundi tarot deck, 78 card deck with guide book
- Moon Deck Card Set
- Pink Rose Quartz Edition | Child Of The Universe Oracle Deck+Guidebook | Moon, Astrology, Oracle, Tarot, Universe
Drink Water! Hydrate!
This one… Although it might seem small and unimportant, this one, alone, will change your day. Our bodies need water to function to its highest capabilities and when we get dehydrated all areas suffer. Drinking water in the morning has become a ritual and routine within itself. I have a couple different recipes that I go to that really help replenish and get my body going. I like to use warm water or room temperature water so that you aren’t startling your body with ice cold water first thing in the morning. Maybe take note the first couple days you start implementing this routine, tuning into how this makes your mind & body feel.
Spruce up your Water with this options…..
- Warm Water with fresh grated ginger & a squeeze of organic lemon juice.
- Water with a splash of organic apple cider vinegar.
- Water with a squeeze of organic lemon juice, couple cracks of sea salt.
All of these taste so great and set me up to start my day. I like to chug at least 16 oz of water first thing and then allow my body to absorb for 30 min with nothing else on my stomach.
Again, I think it makes it more fun when you have a fun container to keep track of your water consumption as well as some tools to squeeze your lemons, crack sea salt & grate ginger so you will find some recommendations below.
- Stainless Steel Lemon Squeezer
- Handheld Juicer
- Hydro Cell Water Bottle
- 6 pack of Glass 16 oz Water Bottles
- Citrus & Ginger Zester
- Glass Quart Jars, I tend to use these to the ease…
Creating a Mindfulness Practice / Meditation
If you were only able to implement and take away one thing from this posts I would tell you to pick meditate. Well, that and drinking your water since we all need to survive and drinking water is a must…. Starting a meditation practice has single handedly kept me grounded, calm and connected during these days of uncertainty.
Meditating allows you to create a sacred space for yourself. A time to quiet your mind, deepen your breath and fill your lungs, feel your heart beat and allow emotions to move through you. I really believe this is one of the main ways I create mornings that feel magical.
There are so many ways to meditate. You can sit in silence, be guided by someone else, walking meditation, etc. Here are a couple resources if you’d like to have an app or a resource to get you started and help direct your mind, concentrate on your breath, be grounded.
- Free Guided & For Sale Meditations with Oprah & Deepak.
- #1 Free app for sleep, anxiety & stress meditations/ Insight Timer
- Waking Up with Sam Harris / Waking Up
- Mindfulness for Everyone / Headspace
- Practicing Mindfulness – 75 Essential Meditations
- LOVING this breathing book! Highly Recommend.
I absolutely love making my meditation space feel special, filling the space with my favorite items to nestle me in and hold me during my meditation. Here are a couple things that I include to make my space feel special and to create a magical morning meditation.
Creating your Meditation Space…..
Cozy, Comfy Blankets to keep you bundled & warm during these cooler mornings.
- I could wrap myself in this one next to the fire!
- Loved the vibrant color of this one!
- Giant Knit Blankets have always been my fav!
- Locally made Idaho Adult Swaddle Blanket….
Singing Bowl…. I love using a singing bowl to begin and end my practice. There is something so soothing to feel the vibrations in your body.
- Tibetan Singing Bowl Set
- Singing Bowl Set in Turquoise
- These are gorgeous & maybe one day I will have a set!
Meditation Cushion. As soon as I sit on my meditation cushion, I feel myself sinking into my meditative practice. There is something about getting everything set up to allow for you to sink in deep. I also sometimes just cozy into my couch when I want a bit more back support and to just relax completely. Know you don’t have to have all the things to start your practice, all you need is yourself.
- Florensi Meditation Cushion
- Buckwheat Zafu Meditation Cushion
- Loved the crisp white detail of this one!
Shine your light…..
And one last thing, I love having a burning candle, incense or sage, there is something about a flickering light that makes it seem magical. It has become a ritual to decide on a candle to burn and to have it lit and glowing while I meditate. Here are some of the candles I have been using. Most are locally made in Boise, but they ship! So you too can enjoy these!
- One of my Favorites! The names & scents are incredible!
- Natural Soy Candles… They smell fabulous!
- White Sage Incense
- Idaho Local Spot for large sage bundles, incense, crystals…
Movement is non-negotiable for me, my body and mind crave movement in any and all forms every single day. This movement doesn’t have to be level 10, killing yourself doing hill work or sprinting at max capacity. Mindful movement can be gentle stretching, restorative yoga or a vinyasa flow, a walk around the neighborhood or hiking in the foothills. There are so many nourishing, wonderful ways to move your body, especially now days with so many free online services offering classes to follow along and flow with.
Personally, I like to wake up and start slow. Allowing myself to drink my water, get settled on my mat & wake up a bit before I start moving. I tend to always do some gentle stretches & yoga post meditation just to get myself out of my seated position. This allows my body and mind to have time to wake up out of my delicious sleep slumber & to gently prepare to take on the day.
Magical Morning Skincare
You might wonder why I am including skincare in this post. For me, my skincare routine both morning and night has become a non-negotiable, it not only soothes my skin but my soul too. It is like my own personal spa day at home & really allows for me to connect, to be present and to show myself some love to start my day and end it.
Furthermore, I have been on a journey to fill my cabinets with non-toxic skincare, lotions, oils, etc. I will be sharing some of my favorites that I have found along the way as well.
I tend to like to jump in the shower in the morning to wash off my 8 hours of wonderful sleep so before I jump in I like to dry brush. You might wonder what on earth I am talking about so let me quickly let you in on a little skin secret. Dry Brushing has the ability to exfoliate, reduce the appearance of cellulite, and aid lymphatic drainage for a more swift removal of toxins. Using a dry, natural bristle brush to gently brush your skin with strokes toward your heart, usually going over each area two or three times. On your abdomen, you brush in a clockwise motion. Dry brushing is typically done before showering, and should be followed with a vitamin-rich moisturizer.
- A complete set of Dry Body Brushes
- Premium Dry Brushing Set.
- Darling Dry Brush with bag.
- Sweet Almond Oil
- Organic Rosehip Oil, smells so good!
- Jasmine Oil, one of my favorites!
- Blue Tansy Oil, tied for my favorite too!
- Get your Dry Bush, Bath Salts & Oil all in one Here!
Psst ….. You can also snag the last two body oils from Primally Pure for 10% off with Code: SPROUTINGVITALITY at check out, save yourself some dollar, dollar bills!
Time for some love on your face….
I live in a very dry climate so my skin is always needing moisture, my skincare routine now includes many different oils, mists & serums to help keep my skin looking dewy and ready for the day. These extra steps also allow me to take my time and really nourish my skin, my body & check in on my overall wellness.
- Cleansing Oil, what I wash my face with morning & night.
- Complexion Mist Collection, I use one of these to mist each morning.
- Organic Rose Water Toner, love anything rose!
- Clarifying, Soothing & Plumping Serum Trio, I choose one of these to use each morning.
- I swear by a little dab of this baby balm under my eyes….
Let’s talk Morning Facial Tools!
There are two tools that I am obsessed with right now and I like to alternate them on a daily basis. These tools are ancient but have started to make a come back lately & I am so glad they did. Facial gua sha is a massage technique designed to relieve tension in the muscles of the face, boost blood circulation and encourage lymphatic drainage to banish bloat.
The second tool is the Jade Roller, I love the jade roller for many reason but the massaging motion might be the main one. It has been said, the massaging motion can stimulate certain hormones and have a relaxing effect on one’s well-being and stress levels. So, I would have to say that could be a reason to include one of these tools in creating a magical morning for yourself!
- Gua Sha & Ridged Roller in one!
- Gua Sha Stone
- Rose Quartz Ridged Roller, my favorite!
- Jade Roller & Gua Sha Bundle Kit
- Gua Sha Technique Book
Psst ….. You can also snag any of the Primally Pure products for 10% off with Code: SPROUTINGVITALITY at check out! Save yourself some dollar, dollar bills!
So, We are on the final step of creating magical mornings. I think that nourishing your body is such an important step. How we feed and fuel our bodies is directly correlated to how we feel, the energy we have and how we support our hormones. Personally, like to take the first bit of my day and morning to have a warming, nutrient dense drink to sip on. This could be enjoyed during my journaling or right after a meditation or could come once I am finished getting ready for the day. Everyone is so different with what they like to consume and when they like to consume it. So, with staying on point with creating magical morning routines & rituals. I’ll share a couple of my favorite warm drinks I like to make in the mornings to start my day & nourish my body.
Nourishing Morning Beverages!
- MATCHA LATTE – Ceremonial grade matcha mixes with smooth coconut milk, gut-supporting Maitake mushrooms, and superherb moringa.
- GOLDEN LATTE WITH SHIITAKE & TURMERIC – Lightly sweet and dairy-free Golden Latte with Shiitake and Turmeric. Helping you put your best face forward with beautifying shiitake and glow-from-within turmeric. Additional ingredients include adaptogenic tulsi, warming ginger, and a pinch of black pepper to support turmeric’s skin-loving properties.
Simple yet Divine …. Like a “hug in a cup”, Golden Milk !
- 1.5 – 2 cups Milk of choice you want to use milk or something that has a little fat in it to combine with the tumeric for best nutrient absorption.
- 1.5 tsp organic tumeric
- .5 tsp organic cinammon
- 1/4 tsp organic ginger powder or tiny pinch of fresh peeled & grated ginger root
- 1 drizzle maple syrup, honey, or my favorite organic coconut sugar
- 1 touch salt, this might sound weird, but just try it! I am loving this salt right now….
- couple cracks Black Pepper, this is a MUST! The black pepper is what activates & allows your body to fully be able to absorb all the yummy nutrients of Tumeric, so please don't skip this step!
- Blend all ingredients minus the black pepper in a high-speed blender until smooth. Pour into a small saucepan and heat for 3-5 minutes only until warm, you don't want it too hot, take off before boiling.Crack the pepper, stir to combine & drink asap!*** Be warned! Tumeric does stain, don't use anything porous or leave on a white countertops, touch white clothing or dishtowels, etc.*****
Pssstt – Use code : SPROUTINGVITALITY for 10% off all Four Sigmatic Goodies!
- HOT ERIC.… What did you say? This locally made superfood honey has become a fan favorite & it doesn’t just stop at Golden Milk! Molly, the owner and creator of Hot Eric also has Hot Raj ( Chai) and Hot Koa (Cacao Cinnamon). Molly’s products are so simple to combined into any drink simply using hot water to melt & mix .
My Homemade London Fog Recipe!
- Currently loving my homemade London Fogs. If you haven’t had a London Fog, you need to stop what you are doing and make one now! It has to be one of my favorite drinks of all times. Some coffee shops make their own lavender syrup & it just puts it over the edge. As a result, I personally am on a mission to make my own this summer when my lavender bushes are in full bloom! Here is my simple recipe…
- 1 cup Milk I like to use Malk ,but any milk works!
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tea bag organic earl grey tea
- 1 scoop collagen peptides I include this in almost all of my beverages but you don't have to add this to create this yummy london fog.
- 1 dash Organic Cinnamon
- 1 drizzle Organic Maple Syrup or Coconut Sugar
- I highly recommend getting this frother ! Two words…. Game Changer! If you want something a bit bigger to froth your milk, lattes, hot chocolate or any beverage I’d recommend this beauty!
I don’t know about you, but I swear things taste better in beautiful cups…..
It’s kinda like taking yourself out to a cute coffee shop in the comfort of your own home. I recently found and invested in some gorgeous ceramic cups and it has changed my morning beverage game! Here are a couple small businesses that are killing it with their crafts!
I hope you have enjoyed reading all the ways in which you can create magical mornings. I’d love to hear which ideas you implement and how they work for you.
Here are a couple other recipes & travel posts I think you’d enjoy as well, be sure to check them out!